Blogger has announced, Google+ comments; an alternative to the default commenting system on Blogger, available to blog authors who have upgraded their Blogger profile to Google+.
Google+ Comments lets you bring the following conversations together in one place, right under your blog post:
- Comments made on your Blogger blog post
- Comments on the blog post that you’ve shared to Google+
- Shared content on Google+ that links to your blog post
With Google+ Comments, people can share the comments they make on your blog to their circles in Google+ or publicly, helping you reach people that they know. And when they're browsing the comments on your blog, they can view all of them, just the top ones, or only those from the people in their circles.
It brings all the comments and shares of your posts on Google+ back to the blog, where you can see activity left on Google+ on the original post, and can reply or +1. So, it's easier for you to reach a broader audience and engage with your readers all in one place.
Google+ Comments look similar to traditional Blogger comments, but have some important differences. For example:
- When you leave a comment on a blog, you'll see the option, checked by default, to also share that comment to Google+.
- Google+ posts that link to blog posts will show up as a comment underneath those blog posts
- If original comment is shared to Google+, replies to the comment on the blog will show up in Google+ and vice versa, but only to the people that the original comment was shared with
- If a comment is not shared with the blog author, the blog author will not be able to see the comment in either location
- As the author of a post, you’ll receive Google+ notifications when readers comment on or share your blog post
How To Activate Google+ Comments On Blogger Blogs
Google+ Comments is available for Blogger users who have created a Google+ profile and connected it with their blog. If you haven’t upgraded your Blogger profile to a Google+ profile and would like to, you can start the process by clicking the Google+ tab on the Blogger dashboard.
Once your blogs are linked to a Google+ profile, a new “Use Google+ Comments” setting will be displayed on the Google+ tab of your blog. Just check the box to activate the Google+comments widget on your blog.
==> Readers will need a Google+ page or profile to comment on your blog. This will go a long way in reducing spam comments.
If you are the type who have readers who comment either Anonymously, or using an OpenID, you can just stick to the old Blogger comment form for now.
==> Once you enable Google+ Comments, you can moderate comments within the blog post itself. The Comments tab that you previously used to moderate comments will be removed from your Blogger dashboard.
You can moderate comments by clicking on the drop-down arrow next to the comment, or by hovering over the comment and clicking the "X" that appears.
You will receive notifications about any comments on Google+ and through your email depending on your Google+ settings. You can even reply the comments from your email. You can read more on how to moderate Google+ Comments on your blog here.
==> Comments will be lost if you change your Blog URL – If your change your Blog URL to a custom domain, after using Google + Comments for a while, the G+ comments will be lost when you make the switch. So if you are planning to move to a Custom Domain, don’t start using Google + Comments, prior to the switch.
If you wish to test this new feature, see if you can comment, on this post. Let me hear from you, your views as regards this new Google+ comment form for Blogger blogs.
If you want to start a conversation with me, simply comment on any of my blog posts using the Google+ comment box and you can even mention me in your comment by typing + followed by my name.