Top Naija news and entertainment portal Naij.com is not accessible on Nigerian IP as at the time of publishing this post. I can only access it when I change my IP to USA IP address or when I use Epic browser with Epicproxy turned ON. Even when the Nigeria news website opens, it automatically redirects me to a new domain; naija.ng
Although I am yet to read an official statement from Naij as regards to this, an unconfirmed report claims that Naij.com is one of the news websites in Nigeria that have been shortlisted to be shut down as the Federal Government of Nigeria has allegedly begun secret moves that will see such online newspapers, blogs and websites perceived to constitute “threat to national security” permanently closed down.
According to the online report, the government, through the Nigerian Communications Commission, has engaged the services of a firm in Lagos to block the domain names of “several identified websites threatening national security”. The firm is required to take steps to restrict access within the Nigerian cyberspace in respect of 21 (twenty one) additional websites by blocking the domain names.
If Naij.com is truly blocked, then there is no way it will be accessible with a Nigerian IP address. If Naij changed domain name because of Google Adsense or for re-branding, it can’t stop the domain name from been accessible via Nigeria IP.
Founded in 2012, Naij.com has its headquarters in Ikeja, Lagos, Nigeria and launched an editorial hub in Abuja in May 2015. Naij.com is part of the global consumer internet company called Genesis Media which also owns Tuko (in Kenya) and Yen (in Ghana) .
- Yudala and Konga Merges Operations To Become Biggest eCommerce Marketplace in Africa
- Mastercard Masterpass QR bot for Messenger Will Enable Nigerian Businesses Accept QR Payments
- Interswitch Spak Science Competition Set To Reward STEM Students in Nigeria
- Publiseer Emerges As One Of The Finalists Of The 2018 Harvard Business School New Venture Competition
- VoguePay 3.0 Lets SMEs Accept Bitcoins Payment in Nigeria and More